Recipe – Chocolate Malted Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Malted Cupcake Recipe:
- 2-1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups malted milk powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until dissolved.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture, and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl. Add sour cream and vanilla, and beat until just combined.
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each two-thirds. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Chocolate Buttercream Icing:
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2-1/4 cups (4-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 pounds semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
Combine cocoa and the boiling water, stirring until cocoa has dissolved. In a stand mixer on medium speed, beat butter until light. Then add confectioner’s sugar and salt a little at a time on low speed until combined, then beat on higher speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add melted and cooled chocolate and vanilla, beating until combined and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Beat in cocoa mixture until well combined.
Yield: About 28 cupcakes
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees